Mr. Jinfeng Lou (third-year Ph.D. student), Mr. Liupengfei Wu (third-year Ph.D. student), and Ms. Zhongze Yang (Second-year Ph.D. student) together with the representatives from the Hong Kong Development Bureau (DEVB) visited MiC factories in the Greater Bay Area on three separate occasions on the 13th, 18th and 26th of April 2023. These factories include Yau Lee Wah Concrete Precast Products Company Limited and China Construction Science and Industry Corporation Limited in Huizhou, Foshan Meizong in Foshan Ltd. in Foshan, AluHouse Company Limited in Zhaoqing, Guangzhou Municipal Construction Group Co. Ltd. in Guangzhou, Eastern Heavy Industry Company Limited and China State Construction Hailong Technology Company Limited in Zhuhai, and CIMC Modular Building Systems in Jiangmen. These trips were aimed at understanding what is happening in MiC factories and to form a solid foundation for the MiC factory accreditation scheme. During these trips, the following information has been collected:
- The insight of “best in class” quality systems to use as the benchmarks for Hong Kong MiC factory Accreditation.
- How the MiC ecosystem, supply chain, quality assurance, and accreditation system was set up and its impact on construction productivity.
- Sample assessments to benchmark current PRD MiC suppliers.
- Feedback from manufacturers/suppliers on the concerns of the burden of accreditation.
- The limitations, obstacles, and objections to the implementation of methods of assessment.
- Suggestions from suppliers for maximizing the confidence in their supply, with minimal administrative burden, by aligning documentation and assessment with other business activity and supporting enabling tools